Singapore Exchange (“SGX”) is pleased to announce the appointment of 6 and 2 new members to its independent Disciplinary Committee and Appeals Committee respectively with effect from 10 April 2017. The appointments are made in consultation with the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
The Disciplinary Committee hears charges brought by SGX against persons who have breached SGX’s listing, trading or clearing rules. The Disciplinary Committee is able to impose a wide range of sanctions, including issuing public reprimands, imposing fines against issuers, sponsors, registered professionals, trading members, trading representatives and clearing members, denying issuers’ access to the market place, and requiring resignation of directors or executive officers.
The Appeals Committee hears appeals against certain decisions of SGX made under the listing rules and appeals against decisions of the Disciplinary Committee. The Appeals Committee can uphold, reverse or vary decisions of SGX or the Disciplinary Committee.
The new appointments to the Disciplinary Committee are:
- Mr Cavinder Bull, Senior Counsel, Director, Dispute Resolution and Co-head, Competition Law & Regulatory Practice, Drew & Napier LLC, as the Co-Chairman;
- Mr Tan Chong Huat, Senior Partner, RHTLaw Taylor Wessing LLP, as the Deputy Chairman;
- Ms Cheng Ai Phing, Director, GIG Consulting Pte Ltd, as a member;
- Mr George Lee, Senior Adviser, OCBC Bank (M) Bhd, as a member;
- Dr Tommy Tan, Chief Executive Officer, TC Capital Pte. Ltd., as a member; and
- Mr Soh Gim Teik, Partner, Finix Corporate Advisor LLP, as a member.
The new appointments to the Appeals Committee are:
- Mr Chan Leng Sun, Senior Counsel, Head, Dispute Resolution in Baker McKenzie. Wong & Leow and Global Head, International Arbitration, Baker McKenzie, as the Deputy Chairman; and
- Mr Kan Yut Keong Benjamin, Managing Director of Cornerstone Advisors Pte. Ltd., as a member.
A list of all the members of the Disciplinary Committee and Appeals Committee as at 10 April 2017 is set out in the Appendix. The members collectively have legal, corporate finance, directorship, accounting and capital markets-related experience.
The new appointees replace members who have recently retired or who will be retiring after having served for about 9 years or more on the respective committees. In November 2016, Mr Hamidul Haq and Mr Leong Mun Wai retired as Deputy Chairmen, while Mr Kan Shik Lum, Mr Lam Chee Kin and Mr Mah Kah Loon retired as members from the Disciplinary Committee; Mr George Lee, Mr Michael Wong Ping Seng and Mr Hugh Young retired as members from the Appeals Committee. The current Disciplinary Committee Co-Chairman, Mr. Eddie Tan, will retire in May 2017.
SGX Chief Regulatory Officer, Mr Tan Boon Gin said: “SGX’s long term success depends on our having and maintaining a solid record as a market regulator and operator, which in turn depends on the enforcement of our rules. The Disciplinary and Appeals Committees play a key role in disciplining errant market participants. We thank the retiring members, as well as existing members, for their service on the Committees and their contributions in making decisions on issues which impact market participants. At the same time, we welcome the new members who with their diverse backgrounds and expertise, will be well placed to participate in the Disciplinary and Appeals Committees’ decision-making.”